Sexuality is something we’re not often given the chance to explore, mainly because it’s taboo and underplayed culturally. But it’s definitely something worth discussing and to start the ball rolling here are 10 things you need to know about sexuality:
1. First and foremost, what is sexuality? Sexuality is a person’s sexual orientation or preference, mainly how one expresses him/her self as a sexual being – experiences, feelings, responses.
2. There are many different types of sexuality, quite a few new ones popping up daily, however the seven main ones are – heterosexuality (sexual attraction between members of the opposite sex); homosexuality (sexual attraction between members of the same sex); bisexuality (sexual attraction to both the opposite and same sexes); asexuality (not being sexually attracted to anyone); Polysexuality (sexual attraction to more than one gender); Pansexuality (sexual attraction to persons regardless of gender) and transsexualism (when someone identifies with a physical sex that is different to their own). DIGEST!!!
3. Women are often denied the right to voice their sexual opinions and sometimes others just don’t see the need. Hello, it’s 2013, you need to know how to be sexually confident. Hold your head up and discuss what you want, like and need. Have fruitful and spicy conversations that will lead to satisfactory events in the bedroom.
4. Sexuality is a big deal, it’s okay to be who you are just like it’s important to accept people for who they are. Remember as human beings we’re free to be whatever (unless there’s a law dictating otherwise). Respect, tolerance and open mindedness are important ingredients for discussing and understanding sexuality.
5. Sexuality is still taboo because we live in a very religious society. Sex and sexuality are throw in our faces everyday yet we find it hard to discuss issues of importance when it comes to these topics. Because we’re living in such a fast paced world we need to embrace the changes and emergence of new sexualities, we also need to ensure that we’re educated and that our children are too!
6. Sexuality is not just sexual intercourse, it’s about sex and gender, it’s about relationships, communication, feelings and values, body image and how we grow, change and reproduce.
7. Sexuality is very important in relationships, your sexual expressions are what deepens your relationship. However, this is often never discussed in relationships. Most persons find it hard to discuss sexual topics, particularly likes and dislikes and where there’s room for improvement. These same people are quick to cry about being sexually unsatisfied, TALK IT OUT!
8. Masturbation! This act might help somewhat with the discussion above. It’s said that masturbation helps with your own sexual understanding of your body and how you can be pleased. Masturbation is the sexual stimulation of one’s own genitals. Masturbation is deemed a natural and harmless expression of sexuality for both men and women.
9. Sexual actions and behaviours are a part of sexuality. Some sexual activities are more common than others. Whatever activity you decide to indulge in it’s totally up to you and your partner. Be safe and have fun!
10. There’s a close relationship between food and sexuality, weird right?! But interesting! When you’ve met somebody for the first time do you find that you have absolutely no appetite? This is because of chemicals in our bodies that make us feel happy and alive and which also cause us to lose our appetite. The human need for food and sex is basic, again you can see why they’re closely linked. Added to all that, there are some foods that you can use to increase your sex drive. (Hint, hint – chocolate, bananas and spices)
Is this enough to get the conversation started and to encourage communication in the bedroom? I sure hope so, let’s get talking!